FAITH, HOPE & LOVE IN THE HEART OF DEWSBURY
Longcauseway Church is a Christian church that is the home to both the United Reformed and Methodist Church.
Situated in Dewsbury town centre the traditional Gothic style building is home to our diverse church family.
Longcauseway Church is a member of the Spen and Calder Enterprise (SPACE). A group of 5 churches in the district. In September 2010 we came together with Dewsbury Methodist Church and the union of the two denominations has been great witness of our Christian Faith to the town of Dewsbury. Believing that the church is its people and their faith in Father God, we don’t put limitations on his love. We therefore encourage all connections with our brothers and sisters and see such things as the fulfilment of our role and responsibility as parts of the body of Christ.
We take great pride in maintaining the traditional appearance of the building and in our time of worship through hymns. Whilst we continue to follow the traditions of both the URC and The Methodist Church, we are a very modern church family. LCW welcomes people of all backgrounds, cultures and ages. God’s love is for everyone and so is ours. We are fun loving, outgoing, happy, kind, loving and self-sacrificing in our mission to serve God and his people. We are committed to representing FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE IN THE HEART OF DEWSBURY.
The building itself is situated in Dewsbury town centre, proudly occupying a central position on Longcauseway. Being a grade II listed building the church boasts many ‘gothic style’ features such as its stone carved decoration, ornate woodwork and stain glass, lancet windows.
The membership of Longcauseway Church is very proud of their church building and work hard to keep it in good order. This very attractive third Ebenezer Chapel on this site was opened on 15th January 1884. It cost £8891 and could seat 800 people. It was cleared of debt in April 1890. It was Grade 2 listed during the 1980s and has gone through a number of refurbishments as the town around it has evolved. In 1983 the new ancillary buildings were opened, in 1997 four rows of pews were removed from the back of the church in order to increase the size of the vestibule and in 2019 pews were removed from the front of the sanctuary to provide ample space for wheelchairs and pushchairs with the addition of a push button door opening making disabled access easier.
The sanctuary itself is nothing short of beautiful with traditional pews, pipe organ and pulpit. The rest of the building can be accessed via the side door to the right of the building, where you will be greeted by an array of colourful artwork that has been produced by a talented member of our church. The reception area offers further disabled access to the sanctuary, the vestry, disabled WC, stairs and a lift to the second floor.
The second floor accommodation comprises; a good size function room which is used for our weekly toddlers group and similar events, a smaller conference/meeting room which is ideal for practical occasions and a large hall suitable for any occasion or function. The hall hosts the Community Cafe and is hired by a number of local businesses that make use of the space and acoustics of the room. There is also a serving hatch leading to the kitchen facilities.
All areas of the building can be hired by the public, subject to availability. You can find more information about this by clicking here.